Join GayCities, the fun way to discover the worldSee where your friends and people like you are going and what they have to say about places and events worldwide.
Want advice? Add a question
Moving to San Diego in 2 weeks. Will be living in temporary housing while I look for a permanent home. What are the best Gay friendly neighborhoods to check out?
2 answers to this question
Hillcrest is the "gay ghetto". Uptown is a small section of Hillcrest centered around the Uptown condominiums and the adjacent Ralphs/Trader Joes/Starbucks shopping center (the Starbucks patio is usually full of gays). University Heights near Adams and Park is another "gayborhood" with several gay bars and similar businesses gay and mixed/gay-friendly. North Park near University and 30th isn't as gay as it used to be, now that several bars have closed, but it still has a few as well as many homo-friendly alternatives. Bankers Hill near 5th Avenue and Spruce has a concentrated section of gay-ness where the Park Manor Suites and other bars/restaurants/coffeeshops with gay followings are located. The section of Balboa Park along 6th Avenue is often gayer than straight, especially near Quince where "boy beach" sunbathers gather within the grassy knoll, and in the volleyball/football areas north of Laurel. Blacks Beach near Torrey Pines is the only gay beach, and it's better known for nudity, but a large gay (clothed and unclothed) section usually exists on weekends - take I-5 to Genessee and follow signs to the gliderport parking lot, then take the trails down (and save energy for the hike back up). Best of all, America's Finest City has so many other wonderful neighborhoods and attractions that aren't at all gay-centric, but are extremely enjoyable for all, from Coronado to Normal Heights to Encinitas and on and on...
San Diego has long been home to LGBT community and for most of the last forty some years that has been anchored by the city's historic Hillcrest. Don't let that dissuade you from exploring the phenomenal scenic beauty that San Diego County holds. From sunny beaches to high vistas, you'll feel like you're living in a "Greetings from California!" postcard.
Newest San Diego Questions
- SAN DIEGO CINCO DE MAYO PARTY Saturday, May 4 from 6-10pm Located at the Brass Rail 3796 Fifth Ave San Diego, CA 92103 $8 from 6-7:15p; $10 from 7:15 to 10p Lady Jane is back deejaying the best for YOU! The club will be decorated to honor CINCO DE MAYO one day early... You can expect the music to be peppered with Latina tunes - Suaveamente, anyone? $5 Jose Cuervo Tequila DRINK SPECIAL And, due to the overwhelming success of our FIREWORK GIRLS at April’s party, you can count on Randi and Nikki, a new Firework Girl, to amp each party for you. REDUCED ADMISSION FROM 6:00-7:15p: Come in for $8 and stay for the entire evening. At 7:15p, we begin charging our regular $10 admission. For more information please visit us at www.infernodances.com or follow us on Twitter and Facebook.
- Hot Flash Dances WILDFIRE with Portland’s own DJ WildFire! DJ WildFire is soooo good that we named an entire dance in her honor! Come hear what she’s putting down! Saturday, April 6th from 6-10pm Early bird special – only $8 til 7:15pm $10 after Located at the Brass Rail 3796 5th Ave San Diego, CA 92103 For more information please visit us at www.infernodances.com or follow us on Twitter and Facebook.
- Hey! I'm moving to San Diego Mid April and I really need to find a place to stay/live and I am job searching like crazy. Can anyone give me any pointers/advice/references, etc. Thanks!
- im making a trip to san diego in august and like to know where r the best bathhouse r in san diego
- SAN DIEGO WILDFIRE: For Queer Women and Our Allies Saturday, March 2nd from 6-10pm $10 Cover Located at the Brass Rail 3796 Fifth Ave. San Diego, CA 92103 Put on your Poker face and join us for our "Queen of Hearts" mixer. Everyone gets to play! You'll receive a playing card when you arrive. Mix and mingle while searching the club for the best poker hand. The best hands get great prizes! QUEEN OF HEARTS ICE BREAKER: 6:30P SHARP! We also have CHAIR MASSAGE on March 2! Details TBA 6-7:15p: Special $8 admission. 7:15-10p: $10.00 Lady Jane Spins! RSVP here: https://www.facebook.com/events/525136624176148/